Click the ChildSafe logo to access their website.
SU ACT has a passionate commitment to keeping children and young people safe. To achieve this we use the ChildSafe safety management system.
We require all volunteers and staff on our programs to untaken a strict screening process. This includes:
- Completing a volunteer application
- Two referee checks
- A Working with Vulnerable People card (or their home state equivalent)
- Training in Child Safety and how to conduct themselves appropriately and in a way that protects children and young people. All volunteers and staff members are not permitted to be alone with children and must always be with at least one other volunteer/staff member.
All of our programs are required to get permission to proceed before being allowed to commence. This requires:
- A fully compliant team with the correct ratios between team members and participants (either 1:8 or 1:4 depending on the context) and qualified first aiders for each activity/location
- At least one team leader for the program who is trained to a higher level in how to manage risks and how to handle emergencies. They are responsible for overseeing the program, under the oversight of one of our program coordinators.
- A well planned program that is fun and appropriate for the participants
- Detailed safety planning and risk management for each aspect of the program
- Emergency plans for what to do if unexpected things do go wrong
- We also have an Emergency Response Team that provides advice and support if required throughout our programs
If you would like more details on any of this, or would like to see our safety plans, please just contact us.
Childsafe allows organisations working with children and young people to reach best practice in child safety. It is an integrated system of safety and care, building a culture of safety at all levels of the organisation. It is a lot more than a safety manual or a set of policies – but incorporates both of these.
As well as using Childsafe itself, SU ACT provides assistance and training to other organisations in implementing Childsafe.
Contact us for information on any upcoming courses.